27 April 2010

Birth

Do you want to hear the worst birth story I think I can imagine? No, it could definitely be worse, but how about most inconvenient? Our Lord and Lady of the Land, the takers of rent, are moving from Durham to New Orleans, as his job requires him to be there for the forseeable future. They have a 2.5 year old and she was 7.5 months pregnant when they hit the road. Pulling out of a gas station in tiny town, Georgia - her water broke. And the baby started coming really quickly. So with all their things in the car and a cranky toddler, they tried to find the nearest hospital. It was a little country hospital who freaked when they showed up, for this baby was 6 weeks early, and they did not have the facilities for a preemie. But it was too late, for the preemie was born. All are fairly healthy (thus is cannot be the worst birth story ever) and stuck in Small Town, GA without family and friends until the preemie can move. Which is a few weeks. And he has to go to work in NO, so she is there with toddler and preemie and a car full of stuff. Which she will drive down alone when said preemie is cleared for take-off. She mentioned all this casually when calling to tell us to hang on to our rent cheque for a few days as she doesn't know where she will be to receive it. if it was me, I'd be calling the media and feeling dang sorry for myself, or possibly blogging about it.

Babies are in the air! Or out of the womb. In the past 2 weeks, lovely people have had an Arlo, 2 have had girls named Lola (get ready for the Kinks song (not even one of their best) to be your personal life theme song, girls, the way "Brown Eyed Girl" is mine simply because I possess the most common eye color in the world) and even a Soren made an appearance. Thank god school is winding down or packages would be later still, as they waited for my knitting needles to get busy. I am genuinely joyful for these new parents. But tonight, as I dragged - literally dragged - my kicking, screaming toddler down the street as her father grimly toted her baby doll stroller beside her, after which she had a 30 minute melt-down where she screamed so much she almost threw up, all because we had the audacity to ask that toddler to turn around and head towards home - I was slightly gleeful that some more people are joining us on this side of the island. Welcome! The first 18 months are pretty fun!

In other birthing news, today my new MacBook made it's way into my world, all little and wee and silver and doing exactly what I ask of it, unlike my flesh and blood child, and as a result we are very happy together. I would like to add some festive pictures here but due to my now soul-deep hatred for the picture adding function of Blogger and resulting ALWAYS wonky layout - I just can't bring myself to do it. I see a brand-new WordPress baby on the horizon...

No comments: